In our occasional series virtually touring Linköping, and choosing a few of the many reasons why it is just so cool to live here, we’ve discovered one colossal cathedral, an oh-so-Swedish 19th century-style restaurant, a “jätte roligt” woodcarver’s shop in Linköping’s Old Town and now we arrive to the premiere location to “fika” in all of Linköping….
Åbacka Café, though opening only in 1998, sure seems like it was opened in 1898 or even 1798. This fika fare delight found just across the river from Linköping Centrum captures all-too many aspects of Swedish life in one quaint, you guessed it, röd små stuga (little red house). Some examples of quintessential
- If you don’t know where it is, you might just miss it because it is so unassuming.
- The humble exterior masks the tasty treats and friendly service found just inside.
- Coffee, buns, pastries all around and, best of all, waffles. That’s right, waffles. Did I get your attention,
- The hours are a bit challenging – you need them more than they need you.
- Though open and accessible year-round, Åbacka Café is best enjoyed in the summer time.
- Outdoor seating in summer or indoors during winter, after a few moments at Åbacka Café, you are convinced your Mom would love this place….
For those here in Linköping, just cross the Drottningatan bridge and turn right. Hours are Saturday and Sunday, 10 –